Cosmopolitan Lodge still retains all its records of every meeting and occasion since its Consecration on Tuesday November 30th 1909 in Birmingham City Centre.
To jump forward to 2009 our Lodge needed to prove to Grand Lodge in London that there was no break in Masonic meetings of the Lodge from that date in 1909 all the way through to the present day.
We have the records to show that there was no break at all, even through the two World Wars the Lodge held meetings continuously.
Once that proof was supplied the Lodge did receive its much valued Grand Lodge Certificate of 100 year’s existence.
Wartime did have an effect of course; from 1939 to 1945 meetings were held at 12.30pm followed by a light lunch, this was because of black-out regulations and the danger of travelling during the evenings.
Although all the written records starting in 1909 were written in English, ceremonies held in those early days were delivered in both French and English, an old tradition which ended over the war years.
Minutes still available to be read show the Lodge met in the Connaught Rooms of the Imperial Hotel sited in Temple Street, Birmingham from 1909 until its removal in October 1927 to the new Warwickshire Masonic Peace Memorial Temple in Broad Street, opposite the Hall of Memory.
To quote from those early records, “After very careful consideration, the Officers of the Lodge in 1926 came to the conclusion that the unwritten law by which membership of the Lodge had been confined to candidates who were members of the Cosmopolitan Club no longer served the interests of the craft” and the restriction was lifted.